Sunday, October 19, 2008

Go and Do

" I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded " -1 Nephi 3:7
" Not knowing beforehand the things which I should do " - 1 Nephi 4:6

This voting season has turned into a pretty big deal for California voters. I, for one, have never been politically involved. Not really open to sharing my opinion or pressing it upon others. However, with Proposition 8 on the ballots, the Brethren have asked California voters to "do all that we can do". Specifically, they have asked us to give 16 hours of our time to calling other voters. My first thought was one of fear; what do I say. My second thought was...with what time? Then I thought of the early saints who were asked to leave their homes in Nauvoo. A bit of a stretch perhaps but my thoughts went somehting like this:

How many times do we have conversations about the early pioneers. And then, in comparing ourselves to them, make remarks showing that of course we would pack our belongins and loved ones and leave for the unknown west. Of course I would do whatever was asked, without hesitation or question. If the Brethren announced that we should only have 1 pair of earings--done. If the Brethren ask for Saints to pack up and move, I'd do it. Well, the Brethren have asked. I have been asked to come up with 16 hours of my time and fight to protect the defination of marriage. If the the church is going to take a stand; the church that I KNOW to be true, then perhaps I should do just as I've been asked.

So-yes-I'm terrified. Yes it will be hard as it seems my weeks have no spare time. But yes- I will be calling. I echo Nephi.."I will go and do the things the Lord commands...not knowing beforehand the things I should [say]."

2 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

Wonderful post, girl! It's so true that we actually have "pioneer" moments in their own way these days. Your comments here really touched me. I feel strongly about this issue too! I'll have to check out the website & see what I can do to help. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.