Activity: In an effort to introduce the Industrial Revolution, students are "hired" to work as "seed separators" for my thriving farming business. Translation: separate these bags of colored Nerds into separate cups by hand. See--wasn't that fun--aren't we glad we have machines. Its a somewhat useless activity, but something other than notes and the kids kinda get into it.
AMAZING
2nd Period: I've blogged about Paulina before. She is the most amazing student I've ever had the chance to have in my class. (she is my blind student). When explaining the activity, I told her that of course she was excused from the activity given that they were separating the nerds by color. A task obviously difficult for her. To my surprise, she asked if she could at least try. Confused but willing, I handed her the bag. Her assistant handed her one small Nerd telling her, "this is a purple one". Paulina rolled the small candy in her hand for a moment, then dropped it into one of the cups. The second Nerd was handed to her; "this is a Pink one" with the same rolling motion followed by the drop in the other cup. The rest of the bag Paulina did on her own, one candy at at a time, sensing the color of the Nerd by touch! Again, I just stood in awe. Wow!
FUNNY
3rd Period: I'm explaining the activity to the class. David responds, why do we have to be seed separators? I didn't have a response as I felt this was a ridiculous questions. Who cares why, just do it. David follows up with: "Its because I'm Mexican!" Racist? yes. Funny? Most defiantly. I laughed-which made my day better.
SICK
4th Period: I've warned the classes NOT to eat the Nerds. Tempting yes but they've been used 4 years now. They'd probably contract the Bubonic Plague if consumed. Eric #4 announces "no really guys, don't eat them, they taste really funny!" Um...Eric...does that mean you ATE some? Yes...yes he did. Fantastic.
My job is so great! I love what I do. How did I get so lucky to find the job that just fits me so well. Yes, some days I'm tired and grumpy or overstressed but...overall...I'm so blessed.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Today at Work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Haha. I love that every day at work for you brings all sorts of surprises. :) I don't get the whole seed separator thing, but I'm guessing it was hilarious. Here's to more class updates!
Post a Comment