Friday, April 25, 2008

Opinionated or Ignorant?


Today was the official "Day of Silence" at school. I had a surprising number of students participate with full force. T-Shirts, buttons, "tattoos" by Sharpee, the whole deal. A few even asked yesterday if I was planning on participating.

The National Day of Silence brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. This year’s event was held in memory of Lawrence King, a California 8th-grader who was shot and killed Feb. 12 by a classmate because of his sexual orientation and gender expression.

I guess I was just so surprised at how many students were participating it made me wonder, are these kids really opinionated anti-LGBT activitasts, or do they just want to be noticed, follow the crowed, or have a reason to not answer teachers questions and carry around white boards? One girl said (wrote) she was supporting Lawrence King and anti violence, another said it was to stop abuse in schools. At the end of the day, I just shake my head; what is this world coming to?

0 comments: