We're currently picking the new staff for 08-09 Yearbook. What a challenge. Applications, essays, and recommendations came in a little sporadic; it had me worried that I'd even have a full staff next year. We held 13 interviews on Tuesday and with our 4 continuing students (editors) it brought my class size to 17. Apparently that is perfect. I didn't have to turn any away because not quite enough actually applied.
Fast forward to today. 8 additional kids came to my room yesterday begging for a spot. Applications were accepted for all of them. Today an additional 3 said they didn't know they needed to apply, and just put it on their class selection page we all did months ago. I can't take them all. In fact, I already told one she can get in for sure for reasons beyond my control. Which leaves me with 2 official open spots. And even then 20 is a BIG class. Ultimately I make the final call and if I want 30 kids I can have 30 kids. But I don't NEED 30 kids and will be stuck babysitting a bunch of people all year next year! BUT-I love them all. They are all my favorite students from this year and their previous Freshmen years. How do i tell them no...I don't know how I am going to do that!!! Its such a hard choice. What to do? I need to decide in the next 2 hours. oh sad-I predict I'll take 4...maybe 5
Friday, May 23, 2008
Hard Choice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I think that is so cool that you get to choose who will stay and who will go. That must make you feel very important. Sorry it is so hard to decide. Do they all qualify?
*geek moment* I was in yearbook in High School. If they're good and can contribute let them in. Don't just let them in for free... make them prove themselves first. Make them commit to carrying their weight and then let them all work together to creating the most dynamic and amazing year book their high school has ever seen.
Post a Comment