Friday, January 30, 2009

I amaze myself

My lesson plans this week have been...well...less then stellar! I got back from Utah planning on showing the kids the documentary on the Russian Revolution to follow up their textbook assignment they had while I was absent. When I woke up that morning, I changed plans to the amazingly historically accurate "Anastasia" story by Fox Animation studios. Why you ask? Because it takes TWO days instead of one. Naturally.

Well, then Thursday was here and I had to teach. I HAD planned to start the Roaring 20s with this fabulously intense PowerPoint and lecture. Somewhat intense as I would have to put on a show to keep them awake. Which usually works well. However, Thursday morning, i wasn't up to it. And I found that I was filling my entire workday with wedding plans. Addresses, Announcements, Apartment hunting, etc.

SO-I got to school and decided to show the kids the other real documentary movie on the Russian Revolution. Added bonus-take notes. And then it came to me!

We have just studied the Revolution with three very different sources. Lets "compare sources" and learn that with all research, you can't rely on one source. Thus the group Venn-Diagram was born. And hence the title of my post: I amaze myself. My lazy days as a teacher actually turned into a great lesson in the end. Nice!

My classes steal my markers. Now they can have any color they want, as long as its yellow, brown, orange. I guess people don't tag in those colors.

It turned out really great! I love when they work on the floor. Its so ... unconventional. Except I hate this group cuz it was right after this picture was taken that I realized they were using my WHITEBOARD MARKERS to do their posters. Little snots!

Jesus looks like he is high in this picture. He's not. He is actually my best student. I feel bad, he's too smart for my class. I bore him. Sorry Jesus.

3 comments:

Heidi Prince said...

I AM SOOOOO IMPRESSED WITH YOUR TEACHING ABILITIES!

Breanne said...

I love that you blog about your job! It's a good insight for me because my husband is doing his student teaching right now for History!! I need to show him your blog and see if he can get any ideas from you :)

Jaclyn said...

Love the plans-- "My presence has been requested" (no joke-- that is how the email read) at a ridiculous training tomorrow for two periods - I am mad about it, so I am showing a movie all day. Don't know why that makes me feel better about the world, but somehow it does.