Thursday, January 15, 2009

Esquela

I know I blog a lot about school. I'm sorry. BUT This is my FAVORITE thing I have my kids do. This idea actually was sprouted by my little brother and I've done it every year. We're deep into WWI (truth-we finished today) and as a part of our Trench Warfare studies, students are assigned to build a Trench Warfare model out of any materials they want. Both good and bad come in, but the kids really do like it. I was surprised this year at the quality of my trenches. Usually I get more bad then good but this year lots of kids did a great job. Some even carved wood! It was really cool!


And now my room is a mess of trenches. A fieldtrip to the dumpster is definatly in order. And one girl made her's with garlic powder! Wow that makes my room potent. It definatly needs to be the first to go.



My last laugh came from today:
I have a student, Michael, who most of the time I just don't understand. He is a little awkward, and relates EVERYONE to a celebrity EVERYDAY! Its really funny. He talks about his new work out plan how he is going to get really fit-I smile just thinking of the things that come randomly out of his mouth. You know those people that say stuff and you think...where the heck did THAT come from. This is Michael. So anyway, today we have this conversation:
Michael: Miss Wright, do you know if anyone has ever died on fire in earthquake at school?
Me: On fire? I'm not sure what you mean.
Michael: Well, if there was a fire and a student was in it, and then there was an earthquake.
Me: Um...I'm not sure. (By now I'm half listening like I usually do, and more taking roll...or whatever I was doing. To which he ended)
Michael: Well, you know if you caught fire inside your stomach you'd die.
Me: What!???? I don't think your stomach can catch fire.
Michael: Well, if you shoved a knife in your stomach and cut a big hole then the fire would get in and you would die.
Me: Ok...wow!
How could I not love my job? I ask you! How could I not?

4 comments:

The Ross Family said...

It truely is amazing how random that boy is. How can you not make a face that says, "Where the hell did you come from?"

Heidi Prince said...

i'm impressed by your students! i know i never put that much effort into high school work :)

Mindy said...

Hi, you don't know me. :) I'm a friend of Markus Lyman Morell. I've read your blog a couple times (I hope that's not creepy. If so, blame him because I followed the link from his blog). All I wanted to say is: you're funny. Okay, thanksbye. :)

The Kammeyers said...

I laughed at your commentary with said student before, but never commented on the hilarity of it all! Very funny for sure! Seriously, you get paid good money to listen to this stuff. Fantastic! :)