Second stop on my "Don't let summer pass you by" tour, San Antonio, Texas! I would have never dreamed that I would have a chance to go to Texas but since David is there on business, I thought I would take the chance to go see him and see a bit of Texas while we were there. Except for the extreme humidity, it wasn't too bad. Greener than I had expeced Texas to be as I always pictured the state as cattle ranches and cowboys and really really big trucks...and thats it. But surprisingly, Texas is a civilized state like others in our nation.
Went to Six Flags Texas Fiesta which was a "hoot". We rode the rides until we were sick-literally! The best was Batman even though we had to wait for them to clean up the nose bleed spill just before our turn was up! That was weird. We finished the trip off at The Alamo. (Remember the Alamo!) Which is a historial site I know nothing about and I teach history for heaven's sake. We watched the video presentation and I had to laugh as they claimed that this was a site and a battle that is revered in American history and a shrine to honor and bravery for all Americans. Um...Hello...I teach history and I don't know anything about this. Lets just say that is a little Texan pride coming out. To sum it all up (for those who don't know) the Alamo was a fort that 200 Texan's (and Davey Crockett) fought 2000 Mexicans trying to perserve the citizens rights as Texas was Mexican territory at the time. Nobody survived. All 200 died with the exception of the wife and kid of some dude. So-there you go.
David and Lesley are great hosts. We walked and walked and saw everything possible for the 2 days I was there. The best was the cute little Riverwalk where you walk down beneath the streets on the "river" where there are cute shops and resturants and all. Quite overprices as you can imagine, but very neat too. So-cheers to Texas--I'll probably never go back!



0 comments:
Post a Comment